Wednesday WIP: Sweet Menagerie for Lauryn

{Work in Progress}

As many of you know, I love to quilt. There is something so satisfying about taking a pile of fabrics and cutting, organizing and sewing them into patterns of beautiful color. Several months ago, I came across this picture:

Sweet Menagerie Quilt

And fell in love with this quilt! You can find this free quilt pattern online at the Moda Bake Shop here.

I’ve made quilts for both my boys and still need to make one for my daughter, Lauryn. So I decided to give this one a try.

My dear friend, Kristen is joining me and we’re both making one for our daughters. Here’s my progress so far.

Sheri Salatin  Sweet Menagerie 3

And Kristen is doing hers in beautiful and bright batiks.

Kristen K Sweet Menagerie 1

It’s amSheri Salatin  Sweet Menagerie 1azing that the quilt takes on such a different look simply by the different fabric being used. Kristen went home with a self-imposed assignment to finish all of her squares so that she is ready to put the white strips on the next time we get back together. I can’t wait to see them all done. :)

Here’s our two squares…see how different they look?

Sheri Salatin  Sweet Menagerie 2Kristen K Sweet Menagerie 2

I’m almost forgot…

This is how serious, I take my quilting :)

PHD in Quilting

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Did you like this? Share it:
This entry was posted in Tradin' Post and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Wednesday WIP: Sweet Menagerie for Lauryn

1. Sarah Van Leeuwen says:

Both quilts are just beautiful!! (I’m inspired…..)

• Thank you, Sarah. Are you working on any projects right now?

• Sarah Van Leeuwen says:

I’m working on a Bear’s Paw quilt (and have been for a year and a half, but definitely not constantly….), but it’s packed since we’re moving in a couple of weeks. Hopefully be able to get more done when we get there!

• That’s great! Wow, moving is a big adventure. I made a bear’s paw quilt for my brother when he graduated from high school. Of course, I didn’t actually get it quilted and bound until after he was married. They take time don’t they?

2. Amy Vergin says:

So pretty! that looks awesome! can’t wait for Elizabeth to get old enough to come sew with her Auntie! :-)

3. Karen says:

Beautiful and inspiring Sheri!

4. Brand Boddie says:

Those are really neat patterns. I like both your design and your friend’s batik one. I’m sure your daughters will be thrilled to receive the quilts when they’re completed.

5. Debbie Mitchell says:

It is looking wonderful! So gorgeous!

6. Kelli says:

Oh, so beautiful!! Funny how all quilters (including myself) have projects half done. LOL! I have one quilt that needs binding, another that needs complete sandwitching and the first completed one I gave my mother for Christmas. I entitled it “Above Rubies” (Prov. 31). Your daughter will really appreciate this personal, sweet gift and will cherish it always. Quilting truly is a one-of-a-kind present! Blessings. Kelli

• Thank you, Kelli. :) It’s true, isn’t it? I think that truly its all part of the quilting process. At least for me, it’s what keeps me motivated to keep on going. Always something new to start and “old” to finish. I wouldn’t have it any other way!!

7. Rachel E. says:

Wow! This is so pretty. I like the pastels. Though, the brights are beautiful as well. Where do you find the time?

8. Sarah says:

What beautiful colors! Lauryn looks so excited about her new quilt. My mom made me a quilt when I was kid. I’m still using it today even though it has many holes in it now. I know it’s time to replace it, but it’s going to be hard since my mom made it. I’m sure Lauryn is going to cherish her quilt, too.

9. Dana B says:

Oh my goodness, I am so inspired! Beautiful!!